Sunday Stealing: Lola’s Holiday Meme
1. What is your favorite holiday show/animated show?
My very favorite holiday movie is A Christmas Story. I have great memories of watching this every year with my family when I was a teenager. Also, the kid in it reminds me so much of Nick that I have a smile on my face the whole way through.
2. What holiday character do you think you’re most like?
Hmmm…this is a hard one. Maybe Virginia–always questioning.
3. What holiday character does your spouse think you’re most like?
He’d probably think I’m most like Mrs. Claus–since he has a belly like a bowl full of jelly HAHAHA
4. Favorite Christmas/holiday song?
Confession time. I don’t like Christmas music. I know, I know. It’s awful of me. But a lot of it irritates me. And around here both of our radio stations (yes, there are only two) play continuous Christmas music starting November 1. Sigh. Now that I have that off my chest, Joy to the World is my favorite Christmas song. It makes me think of my mother.
5. Most hated Christmas/holiday song?
I really hate Christmas songs that are designed to make you cry. Like the one about the red shoes. Come on now. A Christmas song about a little boy’s dying mother? There’s enough sadness in the world–at least let Christmas songs be happy, hmm?
6. If you have an all holiday music radio station when do you start listening to it?
No choice. It starts November 1. I don’t really get into the spirit of Christmas music until the last week of December, so I don’t listen to the radio until then.
7. If you have an all holiday music radio station do you love it or hate it?
I don’t like it. There are no other choices. That sucks.
8. Have you ever wrapped yourself as a Christmas present?
9. Who is Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer’s father?
I don’t know his name–but I think he wanted to hide Rudolf’s nose under a black rubber clown-nose thing. He needs parenting classes.
10. Do you drive your neighborhood or one near you at night to look at other people’s holiday decorations?
Kevin’s birthday is December 23. Our tradition is to drive around town to look at the lights on that day. It’s my favorite holiday tradition.
11. When you see a heavily decorated house do you think, ‘oh that’s lovely’? Or do you think, ‘oh criminy, that looks like Christmas threw up all over their lawn’?
I like all the lights. However, if it looks too cluttered or overdone, I can get that Christmas-threw-up vibe.
12. Are you counting the days to Christmas with excited anticipation or dread?
Anticipation. We’re having a far less materialistic Christmas this year, and I’m super excited about it.
13. When was the last time you had your photo taken with Santa? Did you sit on his lap?
When I was a kid, my Grandpa’s Mason Lodge held an annual Christmas party with Santa. I distinctly remember being told to take my little sister up to see Santa, and then being roped into sitting on his lap myself and being incredibly uncomfortable. I was 12.
14. Do you make a Christmas list for your spouse or significant other or do you rely on them to pick your gift(s) without a clue from you?
Christmas is the only time I get to indulge myself in books. I put some in my cart at Amazon, and then Kevin picks a few of my picks. So semi-surprise.
15. When do you put up your tree?
Around the first of December.
16. Real or fake?
This is an ongoing debate in our house. I win every year, and we have a live tree. I can’t imagine having a fake one. I need that pine scent.
17. When do you take your tree down?
I find a Christmas tree after Christmas to be depressing and usually try to get it down with in a few days. When I was a kid, our tradition was to keep it up until Epiphany (my Canadian grandma called it Petit Noel) on January 6. I found it depressing then too.
18. Do you shop the day after Christmas sales? What do you shop for?
I always WANT to shop the day after Christmas sales. But I never have any money left. I also think I’ll get Christmas supplies like wrapping paper after Christmas, and again, I find Christmas stuff after the holiday is over to be depressing. I have no real idea why. Maybe just the let-down after the anticipation?
19. Is your work/office having a holiday party this year? Will you attend?
My work is having a Christmas party at the main office. It’s 250 miles away, so I won’t be attending.
20. Do you have your New Year’s Eve Plans set yet?
I never go out for New Year’s Eve. I love to stay at home, make some really yummy food, watch When Harry Met Sally, and maybe Sleepless in Seattle, and plan the upcoming year. We do have plans to go outside at Midnight and bang pots and pans. Did you do that when you were a kid?
More Sunday Stealing here.